Oakley has just announced that the 2013 Oakley Surf Shop Challenge hits the Ala Moana Bowls on the South Shore of Oahu, Hawaii this Friday, May 10th. The 2013 regional qualifying series is flying by with five events completed and only two more before the seven regional champs take off on an all-expense paid trip to the National Championship in Bali, Indonesia (June 17-22) for the Oakley Pro Bali.
The event series contains four-man teams (two surf shop pros and two shop employees) against each other for a chance to win $10,000, an advertising spread in SURFER Magazine, and the title of best surf shop in the country.
According to previous results, Town & Country Hawaii has been the leading competitor in Hawaii, holding five regional victories out of the nine total years that the event has been running there. While T&C has the highest records, Hawaiian Island Creations does have a win from 2011 under their belt, giving them the thirst for a win again. Also, Hi-Tech Surf Sports and Pipe Dreams Surf Co. got a taste of what the final is like from last year, so they know how the game goes and are sure to put up a good fight for the title and Bali trip this year.
Invited Hawaii Teams:
Blue Hawaii Surf
The complete 2013 Oakley Surf Shop Challenge calendar:
· April 5 – Southwest – Seaside Reef, Cardiff, CA*
· April 9 – Southeast – Ponce Inlet, FL
· April 13 – Mid-Atlantic – Kitty Hawk or Nags Head, Outer Banks, NC
· April 16 – Northeast – Manasquan Inlet, Manasquan, NJ
· April 19 – Northwest – Steamer Lane, Santa Cruz, CA
· May 10 – Hawaii – Ala Moana Bowls, South Shore, HI
· May 31-June 1 – West – 54th/56th Street – Newport Beach, CA*
· June 17-22 – National Championship – Keramas/Canggu, Bali, Indo.
For all of the latest information including photos, video footage, results and more, check out surfshopchallenge.com.