Ventura, CA – Join the Surfrider Foundation Ventura Chapter at 6pm tonight at the Harvest Cafe to learn more about Ocean Friendly Restaurants.
Those of you might be wondering – what is an Ocean Friendly Restaurant?
Initially, this means that specific restaurants participate in the OFR Program, and therefore MUST follow these four criteria:
1. No expanded polystyrene use (aka Styrofoam) onsite or to-go.
2. Proper recycling practices are followed.
3. Only reusable tableware is used for onsite dining and utensils to-go are provided only upon request.
4. No plastic bags offered for takeout orders.
And choose a minimum of three of these criteria as well:
5. Plastic straws are provided only upon request.
6. No beverages sold in plastic bottles.
7. Discount offered for customers with reusable cup, mug, bag, etc.
8. Vegetarian/vegan food options are offered on a regular basis. All seafood must be a ‘Best Choice’ or ‘Good Alternative’ as defined by Seafood Watch.
9. Water Conservation efforts such as low flow faucets and toilets.
10. Energy efficiency efforts such as LED lighting and Energy Star appliances.
As surfers and watermen, it is one of our responsibilities to protect and conserve our playground (the ocean). We must pay attention to mother nature and do our best to understand what she needs and educate/unite the masses.
The Foundation will inform participants and members how you can earn #surfrider gear and other perks by helping to sign up restaurants that don’t use expanded polystyrene foam (aka Styrofoam) plastic products, that do embrace reusable items and take other steps to help protect the ocean.
For more information on how to earn Surfrider incentives visit their website here.