The Surfrider Foundation is committed to the protection of our oceans, waves and beaches. In addition to beach clean-ups and raising awareness, Surfrider is working hard to limit the amount of plastic pollution that is negatively affecting our beaches and marine life. With that said, the non-profit organization has provided 10 easy ways for everyone to reduce plastic in their daily lives.
10 Ways to Rise Above Plastics
1. Choose to reuse when it comes to shopping bags and bottled water. Cloth bags and metal or glass reusable bottles are available locally at great prices.
2. Refuse single-serving packages, excess packaging, straws and other ‘disposable’ plastics. Carry reusable utensils in your purse, backpack, or car to use at BBQs, potlucks, or take-out restaurants.
3. Reduce everyday plastics such as sandwich bags and juice cartons by replacing them with a reusable lunch bag/box that includes a thermos.
4. Bring your to-go mug with you to the coffee shop, smoothie shop or restaurants that let you use them. A great way to reduce lids, plastic cups, and/or plastic-lined cups.
5. Go digital! No need for plastic CD’s, DVD’s, and jewel cases when you can buy your music and videos online.
6. Seek out alternatives to the plastic items that you rely on.
7. Recycle. If you must use plastic, try to choose #1 (PETE) or #2 (HDPE), which are the most commonly recycled plastics. Avoid plastic bags and polystyrene foam as both typically have very low recycling rates.
8. Volunteer at a beach cleanup. Surfrider Foudation Chapters often hold cleanups monthly or more frequently.
9. Support plastic bag bans, polystyrene foam bans and bottle recycling bills.
10. Spread the word. Talk to your family and friends about why it is important to Rise Above Plastics!