Red Bull is poised to make history with one of the scariest contests in modern surfing, known as the Red Bull: Cape Fear. The one day event will bring together twelve of the best surfers from around the world to face-off on the infamous wave called “Ours” in Sydney, Australia.
Ours has been described as one of the most dangerous waves in the world. The wave slabs into a heavy right hand barrel in front of a large cliff face. So close to the cliff in fact, that the backwash effects the face, creating some nasty turbulence. The contest waiting period is from April 17 through to August 1. Watch this preview clip to get an idea of what Ours is really like:
- Six one-on-one battles.
- Each battle will consist of the two best-matched surfers.
- Like a boxing card, the first five battles are on the under card for the main event. Consider it six consecutive finals if you will.
- Each battle will consist of approximately 20-minutes of paddling in and 20-minutes of towing in.
- Surfers will be judged by wave size and difficulty.
- There will be four surfers in the water at all times – two contesting the paddle-in element and two contesting the tow-in element.
- Each battle will crown a winner.
For more information, visit: redbullcapefear.com