Born on February 11, 1972, the world’s greatest competitive surfer, Kelly Slater, has come quite a long ways since his childhood growing up in Cocoa Beach, Florida. Slater’s impact on the competitive scene of professional surfing has dug far deeper than anyone else in history. The Quiksilver athlete is now known as an 11x ASP World Champion with 56 career event wins, 22 perfect 10’s, and as both the youngest and oldest competitor to ever win an ASP World title.
However, the greatest surfer of all time somehow managed to accomplish much more than just incredible stats so far during his lifetime. In an attempt to expose a different side of Slater’s history, here are a few facts you may not already know about the 42-year-old professional athlete:
1. Growing up, Slater not only performed in the lineup but also hit the books hard in school, as he was nearly a straight A student.
2. In the early 90’s he acted as ‘Jimmy Slade’ on the popular tv show known as Baywatch, and dated Pamela Anderson.
3. People Magazine named Kelly Slater as one of the ‘100 Most Beautiful People in the World.’
4. During the late 90’s, Slater joined Rob Machado and Peter King to form their own band called ‘The Surfers.’
5. In 1997, he was an underwear model for Versace.
6. “Pipe Dreams: A Surfer’s Journey,” was published as an auto-biography about Slater, written by Kelly Slater and Jason Borte.
7. He has a teenage daughter named Taylor Slater.
8. Slater played on stage for both Pearl Jam and Ben Harper in 2006.
9. In 2010, the US House of Representatives recognized Kelly Slater as the first official U.S. Surf Ambassador.
10. The world traveling athlete earned his Masters Degree in Criminal Law at Sydney University, Australia in 2004.
Check out some of the best video clips of Kelly Slater at the age of 41, such as his recent victory at the Volcom Pipe Pro:
Slater’s historic ‘perfect 20’ during the Volcom Fiji Pro 2013:
Slater vs. Parko battle during the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast 2013: