With summertime nearing its close, west-coast canines wouldn’t dream of missing the singular event of the beach season – Helen Woodward Animal Center’s 8thAnnual Surf Dog Surf-A-thon, held at Dog Beach in Del Mar, sponsored by Blue Buffalo. The Surf Dog Surf-A-Thon takes place Sunday, September 8th, 2013 from 8am to 2pm PT and is certain to make some very big waves! If you can’t be there in person, watch the broadcast beginning at 8:30am PT/11:30am ET Ustream.tv.
Helen Woodward Animal Center’s canine surf contest is the largest of its kind in the country and will feature more than 80 dogs surfing in four different weight class competitions. Winners are selected based upon their ability to ride the waves, have fun and stay on their boards. “Top Surf Dog 2013”-hopefuls will compete for the coveted title, wagging rights at dog beaches and parks, and a Top Fundraiser Grand Prize fishing trip to Mexico. Each surFUR heat will be judged by celebrities, surf pros and aficionados.
Other dog-and-family friendly activities scheduled at the September 8th Surf Dog Surf-A-Thon include the Beach Bum Canine Costume Contest; a costumed Team Spirit Surf Competition – where people form surf teams with friends and dogs to raise funds for orphan pets; over 60 interactive vendor booths; and a Special Kid’s Activity area – with Sandcastle Building, Musical Towels, Hula Hoops and more. All proceeds from the annual competition and activities go towards the animals and programs at Helen Woodward Animal Center.
Adding to the feel-good vibes of the upcoming event, an as-yet-unnamed local Surf Dog legend will be inducted into Helen Woodward Animal Center’s Surf Dog Hall of Fame, joining Buddy the Jack Russell Terrier as only the second inductee in the sport’s history. The surprise unveiling of the latest surFUR to make his mark in Surf Dog history will be honored in a special ceremony following the competition.
WHERE: Dog Beach in Del Mar
WHEN: Sunday, September 8th, 2013 between 8:00am – 2:00pm.
- Life-vested canines competing in real surfing heats – 4 different weight classes!
- Land-loving pups showing off their “Beach Bum” or “Bikini Babe” costumes.
- Team Spirit creatively-costumed surfers riding the waves to raise money for homeless pets.
- Athletic Dogs tackling the Canine Agility Course.
- 60+ surfing dog-loving vendors joining in on the fun.
SOME OF OUR CELEBRITY JUDGES:
- Jaime Chambers from FOX 5 Evening News,
- Premier surf instructor top male tandem surfer Kahuna Bob,
- Founder and publisher of Surf Life for Women Magazine, Sunshine Makarow,
- Jagger & Kristi, hosts of the morning show on Magic 92.5,
- NBA’S only female scout (LA Lakers), and former Miss Dallas-Fort Worth USA Bonnie- Jill Laflin